The Olympic Spirit: Bravery

umamv5
With the arrival of the Olympics in Sochi, much controversy has risen over the country’s anti-gay legislation. Many athletes and civilians have protested against Russia’s oppression by issuing public announcements, dubbing rainbow outfits, and speaking out through social media about the 2014 Winter Olympics. Although the Olympics is an event where countries from all over the world come together and celebrate nationalism and competitive spirit, many are standing up against the discriminating laws against homosexuals in Russia. It is truly amazing how the public joined in disapproval to showed their support for all sexualities.
The Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion (CIDI) released a comical commercial about luge to show their support for homosexuals, stating, “The games have always been a little gay. Let’s fight to keep them that way”. With over 5.5 million views on YouTube, the CIDI racked up close to 21,000 likes on the video. In the comments, people worldwide have spoken up in support of the gutsy advertisement. Although the CIDI also received negative feedback, their courage to fight for the rights of gays in a wide-spread manner showed the bravery that many others revealed as well.
At the opening ceremony, Germany emerged sporting colorful outfits in bright rainbow colors, the iconic symbol of gay rights. Although both the designer of the outfits, Willy Bogner, and Germans deny that they had any political protest behind their uniforms, many were affected by the demonstration.
With the rising relevance of various social media sites, some have chosen to speak out and spread the word through sites like Facebook and Twitter. The “Boycott 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Russia” page on Facebook has close to 65,000 members. These members have accumulated over the past six to seven months, connecting over their passion for equal rights. Their adamant behavior to contest Russia’s oppression gained universal attention.
Whether it was a comical commercial, showy outfit, or popular Facebook page, the populace has attempted to stand up for what they believe in, showing true spirit while inspiring others to do the same.