The Olympic Spirit: Nationalistic Pride

radiancewithin
The Olympics has been home to the rise and fall of numerous great athletes. In the process of bettering themselves, these participants carry not only the burden of a team but also of a country. The nationalistic surge that appears from the Olympics proves the real purpose of the event; to pit the nations against each other in a peaceful way while celebrating the victories of those who represent each country. To some viewers it is a mere sporting event based only on the international level. However, the most defining moments of what the Olympics are truly about are rendered in the looks upon each of the medalists’ faces. The rigorous training that every Olympian toils through most likely equals the amount of pressure they put on themselves on such a high-scaling competition. Pride for oneself does come into play, but knowing that you are representing an entire nation is another type of pressure altogether. It is this nationalistic pride that connects both viewers and participants of the Olympics, whatever their ethnicity or culture. Pride burgeons from the need to be acknowledged as a winner; not just for the particular Olympian, but also for the country itself. In the distant past, victories can only be acquired through war. With the Olympics, a country is able to show its finesse and talent in a worldwide scale without fear of any political hostilities. In addition, athletes are not chosen through bribery or corruption but based on pure talent alone. In the Olympics, every viewer is introduced to every country’s best athletes. Nationalistic pride grows from knowing that every Olympian is the best that every country can offer. Regardless of who wins and who does not, the Olympics is clearly based on the foundation of nationalism and the competitions are utilized as means to upsurge every nation’s sense of pride.