The Olympic Spirit: Harmony Among Nations

erinxz
The television flickers on once again, and the entire room is immersed with pure awe once again. Yes, yes, yes, go! Desperately waiting for a “And the US has got it again! Gold medal for the USA!” The Olympics. A rare event that practically occurs once in a blue moon, it’s the time where anyone and everyone has the chance to be rooting with their own nation. A time of competitiveness (yet friendly) and unity. It’s the time of the people.

So, the real question. What does Olympic spirit mean to me? Olympic spirit is the reliever to international discord and tension. To me, the Olympics are the fixative to mend the countries into a melting pot of harmony and celebration, even if it is just for a couple weeks. After all, the iconic Olympic symbol represents universality in all nations, presenting a message of unity. Those couple weeks dissolve much of the stress and negativity all around the globe. Olympic spirit is the key to uniting nations with a sense of friendly competition and sportsmanship. Zealous ambition is the absolute fuel to the motives for competing. Regardless of winning or losing, the only aspect that truly is of importance is the effort and pride that went into it. Achievement trumps triumph.

It is more than competition, more than sweat, more than the aching muscles. The Olympics are the yearn for fulfillment, the pursuit of dreams, and the pure spirit of the people. The Olympics are beautifully spectacular, showing every human being, no matter their home, that anything is possible.