The Olympic Spirit: Grandeur is Burned into Souls

KatieJ
Greatness flows from the soul, embodying our very existence. Greatness is the taste of the most exuberant emotion, bled and sweated for. It’s the feeling of jubilation, of relief, as you stand with shaking muscles and dripping flesh, smelling the sweet scent of accomplishment.
This greatness is fleeting, only lasting a moment, but it has this ability, this unidentifiable quality, that enables it to be etched into the fabric of one’s being. It becomes innate, once having achieve greatness, touched it, felt its trembling tendrils brush your lips and seep into your soul; one can never go back to simplicity.
I believe everyone, every single human being out there, has the possibility to have this brush with infinite grandeur, if only for a moment. All one must do is try, strain with all power towards achievement, and indubitably it will be found. It shall be a staggering encounter, like suddenly meeting intelligent animal eyes in pitch darkness. Greatness, however, does not always mean gold, it does not always win.
Very few winners exist; far more losers must stand at the sidelines, shaking hands, thanking their destroyers, calmly, for a good game. Yet, often losing to the best does not always feel so bad. Perhaps it’s the knowledge that playing the best, at least in the Olympics, means you are among the best. Perhaps, it’s the exhilarating rush one gets simply for competing. It’s the chance to vie for a title, for immortalization, and knowing at the end, even if you lost, you played the hardest you’d ever played, and somewhere in there, you brushed greatness.
The Olympics are unquestionably special, able to drag squabbling nations into comradery, even if it’s only momentary. I believe this is so because when countries meet in the Olympics, it’s not really countries, its people. These people who have fought, pushed, and clawed their way to the limits of their own being, there is no way for them not to feel connected to other such athletes. People are people, when you get down to it; we all have similar wants and needs. I believe that is what we see in our fellow humans at these games. We appreciate, and marvel at, the abilities of these almost-supernatural athletes, seeing them collectively as extraordinary people. We see the love their people have of them, the love we develop for them, and somewhere in there, we all get mixed up. Its greatness that we see in the Olympics, so perhaps it’s greatness that brings us together, because we all have the potential to achieve it and these athletes show us it’s possible.