The Olympic Spirit: The World Unites

hannah.vollet
I believe that the Olympic Spirit has to do with the way the world unites for this special event. Every country in the world is distinguished uniquely, and rarely are all countries tied together and thought of as a single being. The Olympics is an event that breaks this latent barrier between the people and brings us together; even if it is in a competition-based fashion. As the world progresses, it seems that each country has the tendency to not accept people located in other areas of the world or treat them with respect despite the fact that we all share the same home; planet Earth. The Olympics is a way to combine all the different traditions and cultures of the world into one “arena.” Representatives from each country meet and compete with one another in the most decorous way imaginable. It is completely fair, since each country’s strongest sport is played within the games. All the athletes fight for the gold and win or lose; they show the best sportsmanship possible since they are representing their country. Home viewers are able to watch on television their country’s athletes compete in these games as well as watch how other countries do. This aspect of the game unites not only the players directly, but also gives civilians a chance to be involved and up to date. Despite all the ignorance incorporated with understanding and accepting different ethnicities, the Olympics is the worlds way of showing that we can all still come together as a whole and do some of the things we love most side by side.