The Olympic Spirit: Unity and Inspiration

shaniehuynh
The Olympics is a time to forget about any worries, a time to cheer on our countries, a break from daily life. The thrill and tension of the Games makes it feel as if the viewers are taking part in such a significant event. From the opening ceremony to the closing ceremony, there are many people, including my family, who cannot take their eyes off the television for even a second. This beauty of the Olympic Games sparks a unity for people rooting for the same country and inspiration to those who aim to achieve a dream.
Throughout the year, everyone in my family attends to their own business and is too busy to even have dinner with every single member present. However, there is one momentous circumstance that will always bring us together. That is the Summer Olympic Games. Throughout the Summer Olympics, my family becomes a united whole and we sit together every night to watch the Games together. Regardless of what we are doing, we will unequivocally convene and watch our favorite events while sitting side by side. Collectively, we discuss our favorite matches of the day and athletes who we admire the most. Not only my family, but each country as a single assemblage becomes united into a whole as every person supports the athletes who represent them.
As an athlete myself, I am inspired and motivated by such athletes who are able to reach their goals, especially considering how young they were when they set that target and began training. Track and field athlete Jesse Owens once said, “We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self discipline, and effort.” His words encourage me to try hard not only in sports, but also in life and in everything I do. Seeing all the Olympians allow me to realize that if I persevere and put in my best work, I can accomplish my dreams too.
The Olympics is not just a competition to determine the superior country; it serves as a common interest to bring people together and encouragement to chase any aspirations. No matter where one is from, people can enjoy watching the Olympics together and display the Olympic Spirit.