The Olympic Spirit: Inspiring Nations

kajalpatel877
For seventeen spirit-filled, patriotic days, countries from all around the world unite to compete in the hopes that they will be victorious. For years, athletes make sacrifices to be a part of the worldwide phenomenon, training for long hours each day determined to win gold for their country. These are what embody the Olympic games.
The games, however, are not just a collection of the world’s greatest athletes competing to prove their supreme athletic abilities. The games amount to much more than pure athleticism. The games are an accumulation of hard work and perseverance, each athlete portraying a unique Olympic story. It takes much more than sheer talent to reach the ultimate stage of world competition. It takes drive, teamwork, unity, and inspiration to become the best in the world. The Olympics encompass all these ideas, but ultimately they prove that anyone is capable of inspiring others to make profound achievements in the world.
Each Olympic athlete is different. Each has endured difficult times. Each has a different perspective on life. And each has something different to share with the world. Without a doubt, the Olympics are meant to show a struggle. They prove that it takes more than wanting gold to receive gold. Olympic athletes are not built in a day. They devote most of their lives to training for the Olympics, and even with all that training, there is never a guarantee that they will win. It is not how many medals an Olympian has that fascinates an audience. It is their story that captivates people the world over, and motivates them to make something great out of their lives.
Most Olympic athletes are just normal people who overcame their hardships in life to reach the games. These people are what make up the Olympics. People such as Usain Bolt who in 2008 became a three-time Olympic gold medalist, simply coming from a rural town in Jamaica, living without privileges many people today would take for granted. It is people like Natalie Du Toit who in 2008 became the first female amputee in able-bodied Olympics, disregarding her condition, and swimming because of her passion for the sport. People such as Gabby Douglas who inspired me in 2012 when she became the first African American gymnast to win gold in the women’s all around event. These Olympians embody the true Olympic spirit. They show people that with hard work, anyone can rise from the struggles of life and achieve their goals.
Olympians inspire people all over the world to become better in life, participating in activities they truly enjoy. Whether it be in sports, academics, or other areas, they show people to be passionate about what they do, and participate in these activities for the joy it gives them, not the material reward. Overall, the Olympic spirit is inspiring people all over the world to overcome adversity, and make something great of their lives.