The Olympic Spirit: The Rush

nedaskier
The Olympic Spirit: The Rush
When the skis and snowboards cut the white snow for the Sochi Winter Olympic Games, excitement fills the air. Whether you are watching the television set from your couch or cheering from the sidelines, exhilaration runs through you as you wait for announcer’s voice to ring out, “And they have just won gold!” No matter the event, the talent and athleticism is magical.
The first time watching Lindsey Vonn race down snow purposely iced up for the achievement of maximum speed caused a rush of adrenaline to course through my veins. My seat was at the edge of my chair and my heart was racing in anticipation as I waited for the outcome of such a race. Seeing her go through the alpine ski course made me nervous because I wondered whether she would miss a turn or fall going at such a high speed. When she soared through the finish line, the exuberance I felt led me to wonder what I could achieve as a skier. Later, they played the story about how she became an Olympic skier and excitement filled me all over again.
Even now, a few years later, I sit on the ski lift and think about Lindsey Vonn’s success and when the lift gets to the top, I hop off and point my skis downhill. Then, I take a deep breath, push off, and soar. I can only imagine that the rush I feel is the same Vonn felt as she raced down the slopes, but I know that the rush I first felt watching the games is a great feeling that envelopes me whenever I look at the white snow.