The Olympic Spirit: Uniting Competition

cathy12ize
The most memorable Olympic game I watched was two years ago, when Shaun White was famous for claiming the gold medal at the Winter X games in 2012. I supported him the most out of all the other snowboard contestants in the tournament because White was a native competitor to my country, America. The moment White pulled his last trick in the X games, which surpassed his accomplishment of already winning gold, I was even more thrilled and proud of our country. Afterwards, I soon saw his face on the Stride gum packs and TV commercials which proved that his legacy wasn't forgotten so easily. Despite the fact that I didn't watch the Sochi games for the Olympics this year, I heard that Shaun White was very disappointed in his progress this year. Finishing fourth in the 2014 competition, he went home with no metal to commemorate and embrace.
Besides White's legacy, other American snowboarders were able to take home the gold metal for my country this year. After doing research, I found out the new recognized snowboard champion was Trevor Jacob, who recently became a worthy representer of America who confidently exhibited his skills in the Sochi games. In light of this news, I am increasingly more proud of my country, nicknamed the land of opportunity. I seem like a patriotic individual, but I also am proud of the world I live in.
Not only do the Olympic games give diverse countries their moment to shine, but it also unites culturally different competitors in one land. In truth, these worthy sports-people are similar in that they have one goal in mind; to win the game for themselves and their own country. For this I am very appreciative of the opportunities the Olympic games give to people who want to succeed in something bigger than themselves. In my perspective, the Olympics not only provide entertainment to TV viewers, but it also symbolizes the alliance of major nations as one in the same.