The Olympic Spirit: The Torch in our Hearts

davidsgirl1
The Olympics affect everyone. Yes, you read that correctly, I'm saying that every single persons' life living on planet Earth is impacted by an athletic competition. People call it the world's stage because it is; you know it, I know it and more importantly world leaders know it. It's their time to show their stuff and every country that has ever hosted them has done just that. It's because the Olympics impress us. They've impressed or rather impressed upon us so much that the Olympics have become a part of world culture since their start in Greece thousands of years ago. The Olympic games are a source of inspiration in every country for all peoples; young and old, rich and poor (and even some who, shockingly, are not great athletes themselves).
The Olympic torch is a great symbol for unity. People of every race, creed and sport pass the torch on to one another, their only purpose being to light the flame and, symbolically, begin the games. This is just one example of how seriously people take the Olympics. The running of the torch itself was first carried out in ancient times at the early Olympic games and yet we still carry it out today. For reference, a great example of ancient rites still practiced today is religious celebrations. One could form the opinion that the games are, at least symbolically, sacred.
While I don't believe that the Olympics are the focal point of life, (although some crazed fans would disagree) I do believe that they are a monumental example of how people can come together for a common good; the common good being equality, good sportsmanship and perhaps, even if only for a short time, world peace.