Olympic Spirit: Sharing Dreams

Rachdle
There will always be Olympics...Olympic athletes, Olympic competitions, Olympic fans. Yet, what do each of these elements feature? The drive to compete, to see rivals poised to vanquish their competition? The people who train for thousands of hours for only one moment? Although they are divided in their own lives, religions, or political views, they all come together with the "Olympic Spirit." Olympic Spirit isn't for those who are only involved in the Olympics, but also for those trudging through their daily lives knowing that someone can live out their dream of winning, of being on top. Nevertheless, there are those who can relate to the ones who are 0.01 seconds behind the gold, those who know what it is like to try so hard and experience the agony of defeat. Olympic Spirit isn't just the love of the games every four years, but the relationship that anyone, anywhere can feel kinship towards others half-way across the world.
I, myself, know what is like to come out on top, to have the gold. I compete in sports, high school track and field, basketball, and volleyball. I have experienced the joy of winning a Sectional Basketball title for the third time in school history, of continuing to Regionals Track and Field Shot Put, as a freshman. I can relate to those who know how to excel in most of their academics. Those who hardly have to try and are rewarded so easily.
Even though I feel the satisfaction of having the gold, I also know what it's like to wish for something so hard and to feel the burning disappointment and grief that follows. For example, I compete in science research competitions where I conduct an experiment and state my findings. For five months, I would work almost an hour a day, investing my time and my hard work to be able to win. Yet, when it came to a local competition, I lost to a girl who had completed her science fair project in only one day, on the weekend. She threw a project together haphazardly while I invested so much.
Another instance was when my basketball team returned to Sectionals the following year to defend our Sectional Championship title. With 7.7 seconds left on the clock, the referees missed an infraction that cost us the title; a common, routine call that any official would have noticed. Surprisingly though, I never felt sad for losing the title, rather I poured in so much effort for a dream that I loved, and it might possibly be my last game.
The Olympic Spirit is the chance to connect with other global citizens, knowing that they, too, experience the roller-coaster of Life. Throughout one's existence, he or she will undergo joy and pain. Yet, people will always gather and cheer on those who are living their dreams, no matter what time period.