The Olympic Spirit: Pride and Patriotism

megumi
The clock tolls eight, signaling what would usually be the beginning of another day, but today it is special; it is the start of the worldwide Olympic Games. Billions of families around the world crowd around their televisions to get a glimpse of the magnificent opening ceremony. To younger children, the Olympics may seem to be a contest to show superiority of individual countries' talents, yet they do not fully grasp the entirety of the Olympics' power of influence. For the large population of elders, many whom have seen the world at war and the struggles humanity faced at times of conflict, the Olympics symbolize much more than just a competition. The five connected rings, the logo of the Olympic Games, displays the unification of each continent of the world, whether they are friends or foes. With each country supporting their athletes with great nationalism, it brings together people across the world with healthy competition. The Olympic spirit displayed by each country’s citizens portrays patriotism and pride that is often clouded by more important, political manners between countries. The Olympics offers a time to take away that aspect and highlight the nationalism of each country.
Pride is often hard to measure, but the Olympics provide an opportunity to isolate this character in each country by sending the best athletes in an attempt to show their best qualities. Each citizen then displays enormous support for these athletes; some even travel halfway across the world to cheer on their athletes with their faces painted with their country’ colors. Sure, winning the Olympics is a huge honor, but to see the crowd cheering your country’s name loud and proud is what the true Olympic spirit is about. And even if you’re not cheering for your own country, crowds show appreciation for every country’s effort to acclaim a medal. The Olympics brings together people of all kinds for one unified cause, to support your country to victory. Even after the Olympics end, the spirit still lives on. Athletes come home to a warm welcome from thousands of citizens thanking them for representing their country with such dignity and honor. Athletes are congratulated for their performances, but soon the Olympics become forgotten and life continues on as if it never happened. Four years later, each country will begin to buzz about the Olympics and again, the spirit will return. Countries will begin promoting their athletes and Olympic merchandise will skyrocket. Once again, the clock will toll eight, signaling the start of the Olympic Games, and every television in the world will be surrounded by people, trying to get a glimpse of the magnificent opening ceremony.