The Olympic Spirit: A Champion of Inspiration

1810108
The Olympics, a time where the world’s greatest athletes meet to compete in order to determine the best of the best. I love the Olympics, mainly because I enjoy watching the world’s greatest athletes do what they do best. I love the adrenaline. I love the competition. I love seeing the look on each and every one of the athlete’s faces. What I love the most, however, is watching that one athlete win gold.
I remember at my school’s track invite last season, I witnessed the most amazing athletic performance of my life. I was helping with the sprinters’ blocks, when I noticed something strange: nobody was getting set to race. It was weird because I have never seen a blank track in the middle of a huge track meet. All of a sudden, I saw one man step onto the track alone and set his blocks. He was introduced as Khalfani Muhammad, who was apparently the fastest man at the high school level in California. I remember seeing him sprint for the first time as he tested out his blocks. He was so fast that when he stopped he was already more than halfway down the 100m! I had never in my life seen a human move with such speed. I remember the crowd screaming at the top of their lungs at this young man. I was screaming too because he was so incredibly talented! Of course he won the race, and the 200m after, and the 4X400m relay at the very end. He was so talented and so modest; I just wanted to be like that. I wanted to be a champion like Khalfani Muhammad. I did not even know the guy, but I wanted to be just like him.
It is athletes like Khalfani Muhammad who I think represent the Olympic spirit. They are the best of the best, and so they live to inspire the rest of us slow guys. They win gold and are crowned champions. We look up to them as inspiration for us to achieve greatness like them. I look up to Khalfani Muhammad because he is the best. It is athletes like him that make me strive to be a champion, to win races, and to win gold.