The Olympic Spirit: Inspiration

allison62997
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well"(Coubertin).
The Olympics is looked upon as the largest event of athletic skill and competitive spirit, displaying what everyone has to offer to the games. Sometimes we are caught up in the nationalism that the Olympics bring to our country, ignoring what the motive of the games is for the viewers and the athletes.
Although I am not an athlete, I am part of an organization that competes. With the Olympics, I can uncover the values and attitude athletes take on for themselves in order to achieve their success and dreams for getting to be at the Olympics and maybe to win a medal. I believe the Olympic spirit is to express your gratitude for yourself and your home country, recognizing the potential you have to represent yourself in something you enjoy regardless of being an athlete.
As I walked into Vancouver Olympic Park in 2011, just a year after the games, I could recount seeing on television all the athletes from 2010 and now remember the winners, strugglers, and hopefuls that have stood on that ground. Through that, I had the urge to live up to the Olympic standards and qualities to overcome the nervousness and tension of competing or trying to obtain my dreams. Even if the Olympics s based on the excellence of athletes, I enjoy seeing the backgrounds of how athletes started out and explain their journey to the games. From what I’ve seen, all it takes to get to the Olympics is the basic foundation of taking initiative of your own actions to take yourself to the games and acquiring support from those who have faith in the goals along the way.
My championship moment would probably be winning with our field show the largest marching band competition of the season. As a section leader, I’m responsible for having success as a group rather than individually. This is sort of like the Olympics, as I am representing my school. The experience of winning is a great feeling, but the hard work I put in to have fun and to be where I was made it all possible. The spirit of competition to show supremacy brings out unity within people, whether it is a single country, the world, or just a small organization. The Olympic Spirit to me is just having the opinion that the possibility of success is always possible.