The Olympic Spirit: A Cinderella Story? By No Means!

annahuebner
Our generation wishes we were Cinderella. Just when the going gets tough, we want a fairy godmother to come out of nowhere and give us glass slippers, or should I say life, on a silver platter. We want to meet our Prince Charming, to achieve all of our dreams, to “live happily ever after”, while lifting our pinky fingers as little as possible. That’s what happened to Cinderella, so why can’t it happen to us? Our generation is crippled by a sense of entitlement. We are entitled to that new phone, to that expensive car, to a good life. This sense of entitlement kills us. We have to learn that, while entitlement may bring some things in life, hard work is necessary to achieve so much more. Because my friend snowboards, is she entitled to be an Olympic snowboarder? By no means! In order to even be considered to be an Olympian she would have to pour in hours of rigorous training and hard work. Entitlement hides the truth that work is required in most, if not all, success stories.

Olympians don’t fit into our generation’s mold. They don’t center their lives around that sense of entitlement. They get to where they are through their sheer determination and labor. Their lives are marked by sweat, blood, and tears. The average aspiring Olympian spends 8 hours a day, seven days a week training for their dreams. Imagine how much the actual Olympians must train! Olympians have their goals in mind, and they work as hard as they physically and mentally can to achieve those goals. They do not wait for life to bring them a gold medal on a silver platter; they train as hard as they can and snatch that gold medal before life even knows what happens.

Take Mark McMorris. Less than two weeks before the Olympics, he broke a rib at a competition in Colorado. He ended up taking the bronze medal in slopestyle with a broken rib. Imagine the pain of performing all of those stunts with a broken rib, the added stress, the risk to his body, the drive to succeed. Mark McMorris did not give up. He did not mourn the fact that he broke a rib. If anything, he was more determined to win, working harder than he did before. He didn’t sit down and wait to fail; he worked extra in order to figure out how to compete with a broken rib. And that work paid off.

The Olympic spirit is proactive. It is not afraid to work. It does not have a sense of entitlement. It dreams and devotes sweat, blood, and tears to those dreams in order to make them happen. Our generation needs to become Olympians in spirit. We need to be willing to put our all into something, no matter how much work it requires.

All work no play may have made Jack a dull boy, but all play no work makes Jack a Cinderella-wanna be, not an Olympian.