The Olympic Spirit: Bringing the World Together

Amorgan
The “Olympic Spirit” is made up of various different components, from achieving one’s dreams to uniting a nation. Personally, the “Olympic Spirit” has evolved to include new meanings throughout my life. As a child, I was an aspiring Olympic gymnast. As a weekly attendee of the local gymnastics class, I was convinced that I would be the next Carly Patterson and eagerly attended the Olympic trials with the dream of one day being one of those gymnasts. To me, the “Olympic Spirit” was about the thrill of competition, of being the absolute best in the entire world. Olympic athletes were to me what others view comic book heroes as. Unfortunately, this dream never reached fruition as I grew older, due to a number of factors, but that did not stop me from regarding the Olympics and the Olympians involved in awe. As a result, I experienced a gradual transformation to my view of the “Olympic Spirit”.
Over the many years I have watched the Olympic Games, both summer and winter, I have developed a number of ideas on what the “Olympic Spirit” means. It is the opportunity to fulfill one’s dream and for others to share in the moment of victory by enthusiastically supporting those who represent their country. For the athletes, the Olympics are about sharing their love and passion for something with the world. Countless hours of dedication and training are poured into the captivating performances witnessed throughout the world, in a single breathless moment, by millions of people. It is about uniting a nation in support of their athletes in order to motivate them to their fullest potential. The people of the United States of America all come together to watch the Olympics which are uniformly broadcasted throughout our nation by a single network. Across the US, people are connected with each other as they share in the Olympic experience at the same moment. From passion to commitment to unity, this spirit cannot be described as having one simple meaning.
Ever since the establishment of the modern Olympics in 1896, they have tried to served as a source of friendly competition, uniting the entire world peacefully, and to a large part, they have succeeded. The “Olympic Spirit” encompasses the peaceful coexistence of different nations in a positive outpouring of competitive spirit. Athletes gain the opportunity to share in similar experiences with other athletes of different cultures who understand their dreams, forging positive bonds between athletes and nations. This spirit is also one of pride and nationalism for the United States of America for being able to provide the support and necessary training to allow these athletes to pursue their dreams so successfully. Altogether the “Olympic Spirit” has grown to encompass international and national unity, friendly competition, and the pursuit of the world’s most talented athletes to achieve their dreams.