The Olympic Spirit: Equality

nihar.reddy
The Olympic spirit in my opinion is the gathering of people from all corners of the world to celebrate and acknowledge the importance of sport. Just like how everybody is equal in the eyes of the law, I believe that everybody is equal before the art of sport. One of the greatest stores I have heard about the Olympics involves Jessie Owens and the 1936 Olympics held in Berlin. For the Hitler and his regime it was a chance to demonstrate the power of who he believed was the superior race, Aryans. The talented Jessie Owens showed them just how wrong they were. Jessie Owens grew up in the south and when he moved to Ohio his talents were first observed. Through his high school and college careers he gained more and more attention eventually getting the name "Buckeye Bullet". During his time in high school and college he managed to set a few records. Now he was in team USA for the Olympics the time had come for him to put forth all the experience he gained from years of constant training. In 1936 summer the Olympics he acquired 4 Gold medals and broke two Olympic records. The amazing example that was set my Jesse Owens in 1936 shows that everybody has a fair and equal shot at achieving greatness regardless of what they are attempting to do. Its is not a persons heritage or skin color that determines who someone will become, but the strong characteristics of having a positive outlook, determination and a perseverance to accomplish their goals. That is why I believe that the Olympic spirit is all about giving people from all over the world a chance to showcase their amazing talents to the world despite where they come from or the color of their skin.