The Olympic Spirit: Bringing People Closer Together

lilbassgoalie
The “Olympic Spirit” can be defined in many ways. I see it as the spirit that the Olympics brings to people. The Olympic Games bring a sense of national pride to people, that they may have not known they have. People are so busy these days, with works, school, and families that they do not pay attention to social events like the Olympics. But even having it on in the background, sucks people into it.
I was never a fan of the Winter Olympics; I always saw it as a winning medals for playing in the snow. I did not start watching it by choice. In school I am taking a sports medicine class. In class we watch videos of athletes getting hurt to relate what we learn on paper to real life. To relate our learning to things happening around us, my teacher showed us videos of Sochi Olympic athletes getting injured. As we watched in class I found myself getting more and more interested in the games, not only looking for injuries but cheering on team USA. After leaving class I found myself looking up videos and researching the athletes to learn more. And the more I watched, the more I became invested in Team USA. No matter what sport it was, I was rooting for Team USA.
This soon spread throughout my family. They would come in and see me watching the Olympics and sit and watch it with me. We would cheer on our team together and look up athletes online to learn more about them. It became a bonding experience for my family.
I think that this bonding experience is also present outside my family. When people from all over the country watch the games, it bonds them with everybody else. The common ground throughout the country is the pride the people have in their Olympic team. The Olympic team is a representation of the best that the country has to offer. With all the conflicts and problems throughout the country, the Olympic team gives the country something to be proud of. The country is unified through the pride that winning brings to the country. The “Olympic Spirit” is the feeling of pride that one gets from watching the Olympics, which is a unifying factor to the citizens of the country. Because when an athlete wins, we all win.