STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Olympic Spirit: National Pride and Cultural Acceptance

OZ13
When the Olympics come around every two years, many people from all over the world proudly tune in to root for their country in the global competition. I view the Olympics as not only a time to be proud and supportive of one’s own country, but also a time to observe different cultures and ways of life. As I watched the Olympic introduction to the Sochi Games, I noticed that there was a feature all about the accomplishments of Russia and highlighting their rich and deep history. The advancements that the country have made have greatly impacted the world we live in today. I love how the Olympic Spirit brings countries together by making it possible for them to recognize foreign cultures.
To me, the symbolic meaning of the Olympics is colossal as it represents how even though people will disagree, they can still put conflict aside to compete in sports. In a slight comparison, it is as if people can return to their childhood innocence and just have fun playing games. This analogy is not completely accurate as much more goes into the Olympic Games such as nationalism and individual achievement.
I enjoyed watching the athletes parade around in front of the fans when the countries were being introduced because the joy and pride that they carried themselves with was obvious. The Olympic Spirit is the extreme satisfaction that the athletes have because of their opportunity to honor their country. I was surprised when some the broadcasters said that the goals of some of the competitors from the minor countries were to get in fiftieth place in the sport. I soon realized as the announcers continued to talk about them, that they were not passionately concerned with doing well in their sports, but instead were ecstatic to even be at the Games, embodying their countries.
Each year that the Olympics take place, my life is impacted as I often have had school projects that involves the Games. Also, I am subject to the almost constant buzz of Olympic updates. The Olympic Games truly take hold of the world for the few week every couple of years that they take place. Along with the buzz, the Games bring out a certain spirit in people that causes them to be proud of their country and observant of the world. I am currently under the spell and have extreme pride for my country, but also pride for world unity and friendship.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy