The Olympic Spirit: National Pride and Cultural Acceptance

OZ13
When the Olympics come around every two years, many people from all over the world proudly tune in to root for their country in the global competition. I view the Olympics as not only a time to be proud and supportive of one’s own country, but also a time to observe different cultures and ways of life. As I watched the Olympic introduction to the Sochi Games, I noticed that there was a feature all about the accomplishments of Russia and highlighting their rich and deep history. The advancements that the country have made have greatly impacted the world we live in today. I love how the Olympic Spirit brings countries together by making it possible for them to recognize foreign cultures.
To me, the symbolic meaning of the Olympics is colossal as it represents how even though people will disagree, they can still put conflict aside to compete in sports. In a slight comparison, it is as if people can return to their childhood innocence and just have fun playing games. This analogy is not completely accurate as much more goes into the Olympic Games such as nationalism and individual achievement.
I enjoyed watching the athletes parade around in front of the fans when the countries were being introduced because the joy and pride that they carried themselves with was obvious. The Olympic Spirit is the extreme satisfaction that the athletes have because of their opportunity to honor their country. I was surprised when some the broadcasters said that the goals of some of the competitors from the minor countries were to get in fiftieth place in the sport. I soon realized as the announcers continued to talk about them, that they were not passionately concerned with doing well in their sports, but instead were ecstatic to even be at the Games, embodying their countries.
Each year that the Olympics take place, my life is impacted as I often have had school projects that involves the Games. Also, I am subject to the almost constant buzz of Olympic updates. The Olympic Games truly take hold of the world for the few week every couple of years that they take place. Along with the buzz, the Games bring out a certain spirit in people that causes them to be proud of their country and observant of the world. I am currently under the spell and have extreme pride for my country, but also pride for world unity and friendship.