The Olympic Spirit: Making a Comeback

Lanilynn99
My breath was hard and exasperated as the girl once again ran me out of the ring. It was the fifth time and I was beginning to feel hopeless. She was a better Martial Artist than I and what could I do at that point to change that fact? I was embarrassed and exhausted, and with under a minute left in the round I was tempted to give up.

But something then happened that reignited my passion and energy in the match. She turned too quickly for me to realize what she was doing and before I knew it I was on the ground with the back of my head pounding from her spinning heel kick. The referee called a time out as my coach and some judges surrounded me to be sure I wasn’t knocked out. I could barely stand up without their support and my vision was blurred. They checked my eye sight and asked if I could keep fighting. By then I had regained by balance, so with my blood boiling and fists clenched I nodded yes. At this point I was infuriated. I was tired of her beating me and I refused to allow it any longer. The moment the ref called out “Segit” I ran full force at her kicking and punching and yelling with every blow. I was uncontainable with my exhilarating comeback. I could hear onlookers from the audience chanting my name which only further invigorated me.

I didn’t win that competition, but I only lost by one point. I wasn’t disappointed in the scoreboard though. I fought hard and proved to myself and to those watching me that I had what it takes to be a tae-kwon-do fighter. I went home a champion that day whether the judges recognized it or not. And that is what the true spirit of an Olympian is. To be able to look defeat in the face and overcome it with high spirits, even when you don’t come in first place. That may seem contradictory, but there’s more to winning than a trophy. It’s to be able to walk off the ring, field, or slope knowing you’ve achieved something greater than a medal. You’ve gained a new sense of self confidence.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Olympic Spirit essay being chosen as 1 of the essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment, so please feel free to share your “runner up” status with the world.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field. If you are selected as the winner of this month’s competition, we will contact you directly via the email you used for registration. We will be contacting the winner by Friday, March 14th.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time”

Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:11:39 PM