The Olympic Spirit: The Triumph of Unity

coolio237
I stare at the screen of my TV as if I am trying to burn a hole into it. A bowl of snacks sits in my lap, forgotten. The silence of my family room is shattered by the whoops and laughter of the rest of my family as our favorite country wins gold, silver, or bronze in that event. This is what my house is like whenever the time for the winter and summer Olympics comes. For me, the Olympics are not only a time to get closer to my family, but also a time for the best athletes in the world to come and prove their worth to everybody. It is also about the fact that in the Olympics, it doesn’t matter what country you’re from.
My first and foremost thought when I watch the opening ceremony to the Olympics is these people are the best athletes in the world. I am overcome by a sense of awe and amazement when I see the countries showing off their athletes. Each person is born with the ability to achieve greatness, but in the Olympics the world gets to see the select few that have worked their way up to achieve it.
Another thought that comes to my mind, especially when the athletes are competing is that it doesn’t really matter which country you’re from. Some people may argue with that, but just think about all the athletes who have switched citizenships just to go to the Olympics. The Olympics isn’t as much about representing your country as well as yourself. These days with the tensions between countries being what it is, people are not able to see it that much. The terrorist threat on Sochi is good example of this. The Olympics are solely about athletic competition and not about politics and government. These threats have pulled people away from the idea of the further uniting of this world. In the past, there have been times when people were also drawn away from the real meaning of the games. When Jimmy Carter decided to boycott the summer Olympics in Moscow because of a political choice the Russian president made was a poor choice in my opinion. If he had let American athletes attend these Olympics, he would have showed America and the world that the Olympics do not coincide with politics. I think that in the past and in the present people have failed to remember the real reason that the Olympics were established.
The Olympics are a huge part of the world today. I love watching the Olympics with my family. The athletes always leave me on the edge of my seat gasping for breath. One never knows what is going to happen in these games. During these games, I find myself cheering not only for my country, but also other countries and athletes to. This is what the Olympic Spirit means to me.