The Olympic Spirit

taylor.defa.11
“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in way little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sports can create hope where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than government in breaking down race barriers.”

People see people winning, in the Olympics, so they think it’s about winning. What some people don’t see is called “Olympic Spirit”. Some people show it, lot of people doesn’t believe in it. Even back in the old days, there was olympic spirit, and it will be there until the end of the Olympics.

My definition of Olympic spirit is that, win or lose, you still got to do what you like to do. Another definion is “not to win, but to take part.” Even if you didn’t win, if you tried your best, helped someone out, and/or you had fun, you still won.

There are reminders of the Olympic spirit, Chemmy Alcott, had a face of pure delight when she defied injury to compete in the Olympics. The American coach, Wadsworth, was helping the Canadians win, and he saw a Russian competitor, 27-year-old Anton Gafarow, in trouble, the coach rushed to his aid. The coach sparked a memory, Derek Redmond, a British 400m runner, got helped across the finish line by his dad. Danny Morrison won silver in speed skating cause his teammate, Gilmore Junio, gave him his spot in the Olympics.

Olympic spirit might be forgotten, but will not be lost. It will always be in everybody, some will show it, other will be not, but deep down it will still be there.