The Olympic Spirit: Perseverance

Dania Pagarkar
My first memory of the Olympics was of sitting with my family on our old brown leather couch and watching beautiful figure skaters dance on the ice. I was so captivated by their grace that I decided I too would one day dance on that ice rink. My parents signed me up for ice skating classes at our local ice rink and I was ready to begin my training. I only lasted a month. Two days into the class, I noticed my absolute lack of coordination. As I watched the experienced skaters from across the rink, I knew that I did not love this sport as much as they did to dedicate so much of my time and energy. With this knowledge I quit at the end of the month.
I don’t regret abandoning that dream. Now I know that I have my own talents that make me special. But my admiration for those figure skaters has never wavered. Many of these Olympians have been training since they were children to participate in the games. For most of the world, these athletes represent the highest level of perseverance. To sacrifice years of one’s youth and work tirelessly to achieve perfection requires great determination. And to shoulder the great responsibility of representing the people of one’s country requires great courage.
This year, as I watch the Winter Olympics in Sochi, I cannot help but feel even more inspired by the Olympians, particularly after watching Russia’s Yulia Lipnitskaya’s skating routine. This young girl of fifteen years dances with so much grace and so much certainty. She recognizes her talent at such a young age and she works hard to excel in it. Yulia and all the other Olympic athletes prove that people are not destined for greatness. They achieve it through their own means and hard work. All of their work culminates to the day when they can finally showcase their talent to the world. And when they finally acquire their few minutes of spotlight, they know that their feeling of accomplishment made those years of toiling worth it.