The Olympic Spirit: More Than It Seems

starlingem
There are very few instances in which I yell at inmate objects, but when the Olympic Games are turned on in my house, I find it extremely difficult to contain my emotions as I shout at the television set. Each athletic event fills me with anticipation as I watch athletes put their all into an event in a sport they have dedicated their life to. While this dedication is something that draws my attention towards the games, it is the spirit behind each event that keeps glued to our screens, showing that there is so much more to the Olympics than a competition.
I see the Olympics as a a platform in which countries that are normally hostile towards each other can show their opposition peace and respect, even during difficult times. These games are not an opportunity to spew hatred towards others, but a chance for love. The Olympic spirit that is interwoven through every single event connects every single person who creates, competes, or watches the Olympic Games. This spirit is one of respect, pride, unification, support, and love. There is pride in being both a fair winner and a fair loser, and I believe that the Olympics puts its worth in showing countries that unity comes from the respect athletes and their supporting countries show any of their competitors. The Olympics are not about forcing opposition between countries, but instead about creating unity in a world that is often at odds with itself. It uses love to connect not only the athletes, but every person they are representing in their country that supports their athletic endeavors.
The Olympic spirit can get lost in translation through television sets, cracking radio stations, and fuzzy internet videos, but it is comprised of values that will never be completely removed from the games. While it is the passion of the athletes that originally draws us in, it is the values and spirit of the games itself that always keeps us coming back for more.