The Olympic Spirit: Earning It and Honoring It

Annie24
Some say competition is healthy. It shows us that we can win some and we can lose some. What better way to show off that competitive spirit than the Olympics? Every two years countries from all across the world come together in one specific place to compete for top honors in the sport that person or team does best. Back in 2010 when I strictly watched the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver I feel in love with the idea of being on television and winning something that is irreplaceable. In 2012 when The Olympics took place in London I was amazed once more. Some of my favorite activities are horseback riding, shooting, and archery so I got to watch all these amazing people do the best they could and be the best that they are. Two people who have stuck with me ever since the day I watched them ride, their names are Zara Phillips and Karen O’Connor. The way they soared over the fences on their extremely tall, gorgeous horses in the cross country and jumping courses made your stomach drop but once they made it over you realized that you just witnessed some of the most amazing things in the world. The day that they had to ride the cross country course the grass was a little wet so that wasn’t too great for the horses. They had to be extremely careful and that they were. I remember one jump on the Cross Country that was named the Coffin Jump. After charging up a steep hill the talented riders had to jump over a coffin-shaped hole in the ground and then go into two uprights not too far off from there. The horses performed equally well in Dressage. They did amazing pirouettes and wonderful flying changes. Dressage is the epitome of showing the grace of a horse and having them ooze that confidence and glamour that tells such a story you would never think of it as one. The riders may get the credit but it’s the horses that do most of the work. I wish they would showcase so much more on them, they have the ability, and all they need is a talented person to tell them what to do. I want to be that person to get up there and give them their voice and tell people how much these incredible animals are capable of. The Olympic Spirit isn’t something you have, you earn it and honor it and you should treat it like a delicate snowflake that could go away with a gust of wind.