The Olympic Spirit: Creating and Crushing Dreams

gracewel
As I sit to watch the 2014 Olympic Winter Games I began to think about all the people who almost made it there, to the Olympic Arena. All of the people who tiresomely trained and trained to get a spot on the team when in the end just did not do well enough. Do they watch the Olympics too? Do those people sit and watch others win medals they could have won? The Olympics bring many countries together, but tear many people apart. Many countries only bring one athlete, imagine being the one and only person to represent your country.
In 2012 I watched a young girl by the name of Gabby Douglas win a Gold Medal in Gymnastics, she was only eighteen. At that moment I thought man she is so young and has such a life ahead of her and here I am just a regular kid in school. I promised myself that by the 2014 Olympics I would have done something extraordinary. I'm sitting here again now, as a fifteen year old watching Gracie Gold an eighteen year old ice skater who certainty has the credentials to win a Gold Medal. Now you are probably wondering if I accomplished my goal. If I had done something extraordinary in the two years between the winter and summer Olympics. The answer is yes. I did not have to win a gold medal to do something extraordinary I just had to be myself. In those two years I made new friends, entered High School, listened to new music, laughed at funny jokes, and soaked in life.
Gabby and Gracie are teenagers who spent there whole life training for that moment, but along the way they must have missed many opportunities. They missed things like senior prom, graduation, and high school sleepovers. In return they got to go to the Olympics. I did not win a gold medal, but I lived my life. I cannot say which is best, but I have realized I do not need a gold medal to be extraordinary. The Olympics gives people the chance to win big, but also crushes people along the way. In 2016 when I watch another young girl swim her way to victory, I will not fear my life being boring or empty, but I will be content. I will be extraordinary.