The Olympic Spirit: Desire Trumps 60 Millimeters

SaGa
They stepped upon a podium a couple feet higher than the one on their right, and several feet higher than the one on their left. The Olympian’s teeth dazzle as a colored ribbon is placed around their neck. On that ribbon dangles 60 golden millimeters, proof that they succeeded. The medal is raised up to their teeth, and the champion tests the authenticity. It’s real.

As a child watching the Olympic crowning ceremonies, I would be sprawled across the couch admiring this magnificent ordeal. I would close my eyes and pretend that’s me up there receiving the gold medal. Every cell in my body desired the fame and cheers that certain individual was receiving. I hiked up the coffee table and waved to the ceiling, fantasizing that I was the one standing on the tallest podium, waving to my country.

While standing there, pretending to be something I’m not, my father walked in and immediately scolded me. “Why in the world are you up there?!?! You’re going to get yourself killed!” I plopped back down on the couch and explained to him my actions.

“I just wish I could be in the Olympics like them. Look at that gold medal!” I paused and we glanced back at the television. “I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to be up there, daddy.” I sighed at my jealousy and my dad chuckled.

“I don’t think that’s the main reason they want to be in the Olympics, sweetheart.” My dad left the room and I sat there pondering his words. I didn't understand what he meant until four years later, when the next winter Olympics came on.

An avid speed skier stood at the top of the peak, preparing for what was to come. He strapped his silver goggles to his face and analyzed his first moves. One last time he searched the sea of faces for his wife and mother, then waved goodbye to the camera. Within a second, he was off. The groomed snowfall scraped against the side of his skis and he rose to speeds above seventy miles per hour.

On the other side of the T.V., I watched as this skier meticulously flew down the mountain. The first jump was coming up. He spent three whole seconds soaring through the air. The announcers, who sounded like they were preaching to a sinner, were blaring with excitement as the skier broke first place. Later on, he was crowned gold.

Unlike last time, I wasn't jealous of his shiny medal or screaming fans as he was announced as champion. I wanted to fly. I wanted to feel the air bite my face as I put all my trust in two pairs of skis. Every Olympian is not there to be crowned; they are there to live their passion. The spirit of the Olympics is desire, and desire beats all.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Olympic Spirit essay being chosen as 1 of the essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment, so please feel free to share your “runner up” status with the world.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field. If you are selected as the winner of this month’s competition, we will contact you directly via the email you used for registration. We will be contacting the winner by Friday, March 14th.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time”

Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:11:18 PM