The Olympic Spirit: Pride

Alibal418
People are incredibly different from one another, that is what we are taught. This phrase and the ideology that goes along with it are indisputable at first glance. Look harder. The reality of life is that everyone wants the same things, in different ways. My personal belief is that all wants are just emotions disguising themselves as things. Like those shoes you saw online that you just have to have, do you really want the shoes or the feeling of confidence that wearing them gives? After all, shoes are just things you put on your feet, until it’s decided they’re more than that. So, maybe you and the girl you sitting next to in class want a different pair of shoes, but really you both want the same thing. Everyone on the planet wants to belong to something special. Whether you find that in your country, your race, religion, or school club is up to the individual.
The Olympics are not just and athletic competition, its an opportunity for people to feel like they’re part of a country, that’s part of the world. You can go talk to your neighbor who you have never talked and say “hey, did you see how we did in the slopestyle competition?” And suddenly you and the neighbor you’ve never really known are both part of this “we”. Everyone wants to be part of a “we”.
I’m not sure if the Olympics actually directly bring together communities or not, but it does make a person feel like they’re part of something special, even if that something special is the country they’ve lived in their entire lives. I think it’s often hard to find personal pride in your country. Usually you hear all about the bad things that happen with in your borders, or how your government has created yet another conflict in a poor third world country so that we can have smart phones. As an american, any feeling of nationalism seems to be squandered, it’s like my own country is being painted as evil to me. It’s only during times like the Olympics that people feel like they are allowed to have that patriotism. It empowering, to be proud of the place you come from.
The Olympics are a uniting force for a country, something that brings a place together in a positive way. No matter where you come from, you can find a sense of pride in watching the athletes from their compete. This pride is the spirit of the Olympics.