STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Olympic Spirit: A Uniting Force

cmarlin7
Vince Lombardi once stated, “The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” Every professional athlete understands this quote. Under large amounts of pressure, people participating in the Olympics strive for perfection. All respectable competitors do not accomplish anything by just hoping and dreaming. They spend their entire lives working towards this opportunity. Sportspersons put their fears behind them and work towards their goals. Unfortunately, only a few achieve greatness. Even though there are over 2,800 participants, only 98 medals are awarded. It makes the task at hand difficult and the challenges hard to overcome. Although the chances of success are unlikely they work to their best of abilities. This is why the Olympics are the perfect opportunity for them to prove themselves.

In 1924, the first Winter Olympics occurred in Chamonix, France. It is now a tradition that the games are held once every four years. Countries across the globe send their elite to compete for treasured gold medals. Currently, fifteen different events are held. This includes alpine skiing, ice hockey, and short track speed skating. For two weeks, families across the world gather around televisions to anxiously watch each success and failure. It creates strong patriotism. We cheer for our favorite teams in unison and feel the disappointment if they fail.

To me, the Olympics are a special occasion. I find myself often checking the schedule and medal count online. My family also finds it interesting and exciting. When I was younger, we watched the games almost every day. My favorite event was the figure skating. I loved the stunning costumes and I was amazed by how each person gracefully glided across the smooth, glistening ice. For this reason I took skating lessons at an old rink near my house. After a while, I realized it takes a lot of coordination and control to be able to do perfect spins. I frequently would fall and soon after I gave up. This was a poor decision. I know I had the potential to be great. I wish I had accomplished my goals with lots of practice and training. I now know we are supposed to learn from mistakes and try again.

The Olympics may have started as an international competition for honor, fame, and fortune, but today it means much more. It is a uniting force and a time of peace between countries. Each inspiring success story brings us closer together. This is why the Olympic Spirit should be spread in hopes of a better tomorrow.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy