The Olympic Spirit: A Uniting Force

cmarlin7
Vince Lombardi once stated, “The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” Every professional athlete understands this quote. Under large amounts of pressure, people participating in the Olympics strive for perfection. All respectable competitors do not accomplish anything by just hoping and dreaming. They spend their entire lives working towards this opportunity. Sportspersons put their fears behind them and work towards their goals. Unfortunately, only a few achieve greatness. Even though there are over 2,800 participants, only 98 medals are awarded. It makes the task at hand difficult and the challenges hard to overcome. Although the chances of success are unlikely they work to their best of abilities. This is why the Olympics are the perfect opportunity for them to prove themselves.

In 1924, the first Winter Olympics occurred in Chamonix, France. It is now a tradition that the games are held once every four years. Countries across the globe send their elite to compete for treasured gold medals. Currently, fifteen different events are held. This includes alpine skiing, ice hockey, and short track speed skating. For two weeks, families across the world gather around televisions to anxiously watch each success and failure. It creates strong patriotism. We cheer for our favorite teams in unison and feel the disappointment if they fail.

To me, the Olympics are a special occasion. I find myself often checking the schedule and medal count online. My family also finds it interesting and exciting. When I was younger, we watched the games almost every day. My favorite event was the figure skating. I loved the stunning costumes and I was amazed by how each person gracefully glided across the smooth, glistening ice. For this reason I took skating lessons at an old rink near my house. After a while, I realized it takes a lot of coordination and control to be able to do perfect spins. I frequently would fall and soon after I gave up. This was a poor decision. I know I had the potential to be great. I wish I had accomplished my goals with lots of practice and training. I now know we are supposed to learn from mistakes and try again.

The Olympics may have started as an international competition for honor, fame, and fortune, but today it means much more. It is a uniting force and a time of peace between countries. Each inspiring success story brings us closer together. This is why the Olympic Spirit should be spread in hopes of a better tomorrow.