The Olympic Spirit: More than Just Five Rings

KTsui22
Five rings. Is that all there is to it?

In Ancient Greece, wars would stop for the Olympic Games to honor those with strength, skill, and power. In contemporary times, it is, above all, a sporting event that can single-handedly help us forget the differences that we find in our neighbors and remember how we are the same. It is passion that binds us together—the participants’ enthusiasm to win pride and gold medals, along with the excitement of the spectators in supporting those athletes.

Then there is the harmony that falls in place in my own household, along with the those of the millions of people watching the live streaming. My parents rarely watch any television but when the Olympics are put on, all of us can sit, hand in hand, for hours on end with our eyes glued to the screen. And because we always root for the same team, we are brought closer by the players’ victories and defeats. That feeling is incredibly worthwhile and sometimes I wish I could capture it and put it in a jar for later use.

But the most validation goes to the athletes themselves, training for years before the competition. The Olympics have the power that nothing else in the world--not even the stars or the force of the universe--can match. It has the transcendental ability to crush a dream or to hold it up, high beyond Heaven's crown. I used to feel bad for those who do not find themselves beaming on the podium. I wondered: what must it be like to dance with disappointment, and then have to end that waltz with a heavy heart of regret, burdened by the knowledge that you could have been good enough?

But these people "lose" like winners. Even in fourth place, these athletes inspire me and I once again remember that they are still bringing home something albeit not gold. They remind me of what perseverance is, of the importance of strength and willpower. They tell me that it's okay to fall on the halfpipe with millions of people watching as long as you get back up. They show me that it does not matter if you spin out of control because much of life is like that too. You never know if you will come home ten pounds heavier, with medals wrapped gloriously around your neck, or just with your head held high. The best of the best have taught me this. And there isn't enough gold in the whole world to make a medal for that.

Five rings have never seemed so important. Thank you, to all the Olympians and participants, for making me go faster, higher, and stronger.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Olympic Spirit essay being chosen as 1 of the essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment, so please feel free to share your “runner up” status with the world.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field. If you are selected as the winner of this month’s competition, we will contact you directly via the email you used for registration. We will be contacting the winner by Friday, March 14th.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time”

Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:12:20 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your "More than Just Five Rings" Olympic Spirit essay being selected as our third place winner for our February writing contest

Be proud of your accomplishment!

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and keep writing.

Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:13:30 PM