The Olympic Spirit: When the Nation Joins as One

lbs96
A year ago I went on vacation to Emerald Island with one of my friends. We stayed for a week down there and while we were down there the summer Olympics had just started. I had never been a big fan of the Olympics; in fact I had never really watched it at all even though everyone always talked about how when they watched them they felt more like a connected Nation. I always questioned this, how could someone feel more connected to their Nation if they weren’t even competing in the games? Anyway, as the week went on anytime we had free time to relax we were watching the Olympics, whether it was water polo, diving, gymnastics or even swimming that’s what we were watching. When we went over to a friends house, while we were down at the beach, to go on their boat; it started to storm, we decided to go in for lunch, and guess what they turned on…the Olympics. I don’t think I had ever watched so much of the Olympics in my life. However, as I sat there watching the Olympics for the fifth time that week I started to realize what everyone had meant when they said they felt more connected. It wasn’t the fact that they had participated in it but that everyone watched it as a nation. It is one of the things that America could fall in love with together and enjoy together. It does not happen often, but when it does, it is miraculous how a place as big as America could come together to enjoy something so unique and significant. It never mattered how many metals we won or how many participants that America was able to enter into the Olympics, it only mattered what we did as a nation to become closer to one another. All anyone talked about when striking up a conversation would be about how well Michael Phelps did or how well Gabby Douglas stuck her landings. Within the two weeks that the Olympics went on that is all anyone could talk about, if they weren’t talking about events that had happened, they were talking about events that were coming up. I never realized how symbolic the Olympics were to Americans until I myself got into watching them and rooting for all the American athletes competing in the games. I can never look at the Olympics the same way again, and I am looking forward to the upcoming winter Olympics.