The Olympic Spirit: A Common Ground

wevegotthesedays
The “Olympic Spirit” represents many things. Of course, there is competition between the countries. Of course, it unifies people that, on any normal day, would hold prejudices against each other. Of course, it inspires people to follow their dreams, even if those dreams aren’t exactly “Olympic level.” But most of all, it’s a common ground for all of us to stand on.
We all have different cultures. People in South America often eat lunch between one and three, whereas it’s more common for Americans to eat lunch between eleven and one. Most American women wear their hair free, however in many middle-eastern countries, the women wear hijabs. We have different views on issues like homosexuality, foreign policy, and economics. We view humanity differently. However, when the Olympics come around, we all take the time to realize that we all have something in common: the spirit of competition.
Four billion people are expected to watch at least one part of the Olympics on an average year. Four. Billion. How many people are in the world? A little less than seven billion. That’s more than half of the world’s population, including third world countries where television is but a luxury. The Olympics are the most watched event every year that they occur. Obviously, people watch them for a reason. They enjoy the sports, the games… the competition. However, behind that, there is a deeper meaning. Whether the population realizes that or not, they are joining together with people thousands of miles away to participate in the spirit and liveliness of the Olympics. For just a few days, we put everything behind us. The war, the conflict, the debt… It’s all forgotten. Together, we inspire each other to change the world.