STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

"My Hero is My Grandmother"

christina_barrie

Christina Barrie

“My Hero is My Grandmother”

A widow, the mother of twelve, grandmother of twenty six and the great grandmother of twenty seven. The one we all call “Inang”. The strongest most inspirational woman I know, my grandma, my hero, Juana C. Oligo.
One of the many stories my grandmother has told me growing up was when she had to leave the Philippines. Departing the motherland twenty nine years ago to come to America with my mother was a difficult decision she had to make. Although she did not want to, she knew she had to. Parting from all her friends and family wasn’t very easy, yet thinking about the better lifestyle she would be putting up for herself and for them gave her the intestinal fortitude to put forth the sacrifice. Hearing this made me realize how much courage she had, always thinking of others before herself. Even though she is growing old, she continues providing for her family. Not only us here but for the ones she left behind. Her generosity inspires me. She knows she does not have to do things for us but she chooses to because its what makes her happy. From gardening to cooking, laundry and dishes. She might be tired but she still has the energy to make us laugh, putting smiles on our faces with her singing, dancing and jokes. Her motivation and encouragement baffles me.
From all the people I’ve met, all the people I know; friends, family, etc. My inang is by far the strongest person I know. She has faced many trials and has fallen but she learns from her mistakes and it just makes her that much stronger. My grandma has crossed many obstacles in her lifetime. From witnessing the deaths of many loved ones, overload of stress and now Alzheimer’s, she always has a smile on her face, showing us everything is fine so there’s no need for us to worry. When my grandmother is sick is when she is her strongest, her spirit is that much stronger, she doesn’t let it get the best of her, which helps us cope. My inang continues to remind us how important we are to her and how happy she is. Everyday is a learning experience for us. Even though she’s not aware of it, she builds our spirits day by day, making us just as strong as her.
A heroic life isn’t the longest life, it isn’t the wealthiest life, but a heroic life is one that has made a heroic difference in someone’s life. That is exactly what my grandmother is to me, my hero. She has been inspiring me for the past seventeen years and will continue to for a very long time.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy