My Hero

pondozzi
Pearls of sweat covered his face and his forehead glistened. With one grease covered hand he held up the glossy candy-apple red hood of the sixty-four Chevy corvette that sat in our garage, and with the other, he quickly ran the back of it across his forehead to wipe away the sweat before picking up the wrench that lay on the engine. I sat on the concrete ledge in our garage, knees curled up tight to my chest, and my small 7-year old hands happily grasping a popsicle. As I sat there, in the stifling Summer heat, I couldn't help but feel my heart grow heavy. I loved watching my dad. I loved being with him. He knew everything about cars. Every so often he would stop, wipe his hands, and smile at me to make sure I was okay. His eyes would crinkle into a small almond shape as his mouth slowly drew into a bulky smile and the wrinkles would become dark and deep around his eyes. You can tell that my dad loves what he does, but most importantly, he loves providing for his family.
Growing up, I never saw much of my dad. I never realized it though until I became a whole lot older. And when I did realize it, I knew that it was only because he loves his job. Not only does he love his job, but he loves providing for his family. Sometimes, I wouldn't see my dad for weeks at a time. He was either at work, or in the garage, working on cars for people at our church in order to earn extra money. Our family didn't necessarily need extra money, my mom, a physical therapist, had a salary that when combined with my father's was more than enough to provide for my family. However, my dad liked all the extras. We'd go on road-trips and vacations all the time growing up. Looking back, I know that he worked hard to make sure that my brother and I had the best childhood possible. Now, I know that not seeing him as much fueled all of the things I did and want to do, including furthering my education after high school.
Although I never saw my dad as much as I would have liked to, I never for one second doubted his love for me and my family. Some days, He would come home late in the night with a big bundle of sunflowers for me. Despite my mother's disapproval, I'd stay up late into the night and wait until he'd come home. He'd come into the house and with a big booming voice would say “Where's my girl?!” He'd hold out his arms and say “I missed you THIS much!” I'd run across the kitchen, my small feet pattering on the tile floor, and leap into his arms and give him a tremendous hug. I would bury my face into his chest and he would smell of car exhaust, but I was used to it. I learned to love the smell because I always associated it with the hugs I'd receive when he came home. I was his little girl then and still am to this day.