My Hero

TGoodrich
What attributes make a certain individual a hero? It be courage or honor; or in this case the drive to protect what the person believes in and be seen as ridiculed for doing such. For instance I would like to tell you the story of my brother a corporal in the United States Marine Corps.
Marching with eighty pound ruck sacks on his back, kicking in doors that could have a foreign fighter waiting eagerly behind, and driving a humvee that could spontaneously explode sounds like hell but if you asked my brother he would tell you like thousands of other soldiers its just another day fighting for the protection of Americans and the safety of millions of others world wide. However the real heroism in these young Americans stories lies unseen my millions of everyday people; these people are subject to slander and hatred by means of broadcasts, posters and protesters. The slanders in particular I am referring to are not those in other countries but by Americans. The dealings of those particular Americans disgust me; politics aside having the nerve to call one who puts their life on the line for you (a complete stranger) everyday an animal, a baby killer, or even a monster makes me sick to my stomach and I challenge those “Americans’’ to endure that of those like my hero, my brother. However not to be misconstrued I don’t mean to attack a set of morals or call patriotism into question; however how someone can be unappreciative of anyone participating in such selfless acts is besides me.
My brother like any other soldier has paid his dues; he has been tested by the trials of a warrior, a peacemaker, a hero; however to some he is seen as some sort of exaggerated evil pawn sent by an intrusive force in a destructive path. My brother faced the revulsion of some for a decision of war he had no say in, however he felt necessary to reject the bile smeared by those individuals and march into an unforeseeable future with his head held high. Now a-days that my brother has returned from duty a hand shake and a thank you from the patriots and young children in airports and restaurants passing by is a little more common and as always heartwarming and never seems to lose that since of pride knowing that the full hearted appreciation felt is the same I’ve held for my brother my hole life.
My hero has seen his share of action and danger, and has been praised and jeered. My hero doesn’t wear a cape or stop bank robbers or (as many as my peer’s heroes) average a hundred rushing yards a game. My hero is a simple person who risked his life for a country he loves, so I wouldn’t have to risk my own life. Simply put my hero is my brother a United States Marine.