STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Civility: Not the Same as Respect

euiyoung.kim.509
Every weekend before coming home from boarding school, I mentally prepare myself to be demure and respectful, the qualities required of an ideal Korean daughter. I have to remind myself every moment of the manners my parents tried so hard to drill into me (and failed to), because I’m the exact opposite of what society deems civil – cheeky and bad-mannered.

Just last week, Mother told me over the phone that she didn’t approve of my best friend because she was bad at English. You have to stick with the top students, so why is she on your mock trial team? She’s going back to Australia next year anyways, she’ll drag you down and you can't let that happen, do you understand? Dozens of kids around and you had to choose that one.

At that moment, if Mother took a look at my mind and the things I didn’t speak out loud by force of will, she would have had an aneurysm, the vulgarity and sass too much for her to tolerate. I could just imagine her frowning and admonishing me, is that any way to talk to your mother? For a second, I considered yelling at her that she didn’t know my friend as well as I did, that she had no right to mess around with my school life, and that I wanted to spend whatever little time I had left with my friend.

Instead, I answered with a polite “no, mother,” using the appropriate honorific (which many Korean kids nowadays forego). And all the while I scared everyone off with an aura of pure menace and frustration. Mother disapproved, of course, but after half an hour of rational reasoning, instead of screaming what I was dying to say, I was able to convince her that I was quite capable of handling myself without her much appreciated guidance. It was all I could do not to say something that smacked of impertinence.

I am a well-mannered lady at home (or at least I try to be) and a cocky punk at school. Civility has never suited me, except when I need it in front of my parents or in the company of strangers. My friends can't reconcile the dichotomy between my two selves, the real me that swears like a sailor, kick doors open and gives sarcastic eye rolls, and the civil face I keep for outsiders, suffocating but necessary.

The thing is, civility is what makes me socially acceptable and keeps my relationships relatively problem-free. I wear it like an armor when I face my teachers and elders. Even when I hate it, it feels strangely natural to open the door for the next person, to say excuse me and thank you and sorry, to respect personal space, and to keep quiet in public places. I don’t know if people are less civil than before, but what I do know is that what’s more important than civility itself is mutual respect and understanding – that has to precede manners.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you as being selected as one of the twelve runners up for the December / Civility writing contest. This is a huge honor and you should celebrate your accomplishment. We will be notifying the winner of the contest by January 20th after our editors have a chance to tally the final results.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:09:03 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your December Civility essay being selected as our winning essay. We will be contacting you via your registration email with more details.

Be proud of your accomplishment! We had many great essays this month, and yours was selected out of all the entries as the best.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 5:42:57 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Sara7272

This is really good! :)
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:20:20 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy