My Hero is You

DrewGymRat
You’re my hero. You’re not a firefighter, a soldier, or the president. You’re not a police officer, priest, or parent. You’re like me. A person stuck in the everyday grind, 9 to 5, trying to make it through to tomorrow. You don’t know you’re a hero but you are. To me you give me strength, to America you give hope. For this you are greatly appreciated.

My hero hides in the wood works, merely helping to hold doors, donating here and there or putting in a few extra hours at home work uncompensated. An everyday guy. My hero, as tied as may be, never fails to finish work for his under-paid, under-appreciated job. Never does my hero complain about being a single parent or working two jobs and still having unpaid bills on the counter. To America my hero is one of the millions that build this country’s infrastructure. My hero makes an honest living doing a day’s work and asks nothing in return. He doesn’t donate millions of dollars to charity but when he sees a man in need he offers the coat from his back. This is a true hero, but why and how can someone not giving millions or killing bad guys be my hero?

So what makes my hero, heroic? Well what makes a hero? Words such as brave, courageous, determined, strong, and a leader come to mind. So does my hero line up with this? Yes! The average American has to be brave to face an economic recession such as todays. Does he have courage? One would have to assume to face the daunting task of raising children as a single parent. If anyone is determined it’s this individual. It takes a lot out of someone to give all they got and seem like no head way is being made. Determined my hero is to push on to brighter skies. As a father my hero can’t show anything less than strength because when a father is weak there is no hope for the children to feel empowered. This also ties in to the idea of my hero being a leader. He has to be and he is. I think he qualifies as a hero, don’t you?

Its human nature to assume a hero has to be larger-than-life. Usually this is true but then we tend to neglect the thousands of “mini-heroes” we have representing great heroic qualities. If we can as a culture play off all the strengths we have we can be much better off. We must also not take for granted that we can do small deeds daily that make an effect. So be a hero and maybe we can be bigger than any one of us alone!