My Hero is Mr.Gottberg

danna2
Dana Thompson
September 26, 2010

Hero Essay
As a child, we often look at someone and say, “Wow, that’s my hero.” But what makes a hero? Is it that they can fly at speeds that cars can’t even reach, or that they can save the world with their super strength or mystical powers? Being a hero goes far beyond the limits of a comic book or a cartoon show. Someone who exemplifies the characteristics of a hero to me is my former teacher, Mr. Caleb Gottberg. His strength to overcome diversity and live a better life than what his parents expected him to makes him a hero in my eyes.
I first met Mr. Gottberg my ninth grade year of high school as my geometry teacher. My initial reaction to him wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. He was my teacher and I was his student. But, I came to realize that he wasn’t any normal teacher. He was so easy to talk to and ridiculously funny. One day, Mr. Gottberg chose to tell us a little more about himself. I would’ve never thought that Mr. Gottberg was anything like he described himself to once be. He had a twin brother who his parents seemed to favor and he was heavier growing up. His parents were harsh to say the least, and they didn’t have the best relationship. Throughout him speaking to us, I came to realize that he was different than any other teacher that I’d been taught by. He actually trusted us enough to tell us what he had been through at such a young age. From that day on, I saw Mr. Gottberg differently.
Every year after that, Mr. Gottberg was my teacher for some class or another. He believed enough in himself and his students to bring Geographic Information Systems to our school, with the hope that we would excel in it, and that it would better our school. His courage to do so exceeded my expectations of him in every way. I already thought that he was nothing short of amazing, and by him introducing the new academy to Sandalwood furthermore proved my assumption. My junior year of high school was the last year that I was taught by Mr. Gottberg. Towards the last day of school, he handed each one of us a letter explaining what teaching us had meant to him. I couldn’t understand why he felt the need to share this information with us, but now, I think I do. Mr. Gottberg’s letter was intended to motivate us to keep moving forward. He wanted us to know that we could do anything our hearts desired, even if no one else was there to tell us so. Sometimes we have to be our own motivational system, and I learned that from him.
Therefore, I consider Mr. Gottberg a hero. He had the strength to do what no one thought he could, and excel in whatever it was that he did. He overcame diversity in his childhood, being in his twin brother’s shadow, and being a person that his parent’s didn’t believe he could be. That type of courage and strength is the definition of a hero in my eyes, and I’m proud to call him so.