STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is Mr.Gottberg

danna2
Dana Thompson
September 26, 2010

Hero Essay
As a child, we often look at someone and say, “Wow, that’s my hero.” But what makes a hero? Is it that they can fly at speeds that cars can’t even reach, or that they can save the world with their super strength or mystical powers? Being a hero goes far beyond the limits of a comic book or a cartoon show. Someone who exemplifies the characteristics of a hero to me is my former teacher, Mr. Caleb Gottberg. His strength to overcome diversity and live a better life than what his parents expected him to makes him a hero in my eyes.
I first met Mr. Gottberg my ninth grade year of high school as my geometry teacher. My initial reaction to him wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. He was my teacher and I was his student. But, I came to realize that he wasn’t any normal teacher. He was so easy to talk to and ridiculously funny. One day, Mr. Gottberg chose to tell us a little more about himself. I would’ve never thought that Mr. Gottberg was anything like he described himself to once be. He had a twin brother who his parents seemed to favor and he was heavier growing up. His parents were harsh to say the least, and they didn’t have the best relationship. Throughout him speaking to us, I came to realize that he was different than any other teacher that I’d been taught by. He actually trusted us enough to tell us what he had been through at such a young age. From that day on, I saw Mr. Gottberg differently.
Every year after that, Mr. Gottberg was my teacher for some class or another. He believed enough in himself and his students to bring Geographic Information Systems to our school, with the hope that we would excel in it, and that it would better our school. His courage to do so exceeded my expectations of him in every way. I already thought that he was nothing short of amazing, and by him introducing the new academy to Sandalwood furthermore proved my assumption. My junior year of high school was the last year that I was taught by Mr. Gottberg. Towards the last day of school, he handed each one of us a letter explaining what teaching us had meant to him. I couldn’t understand why he felt the need to share this information with us, but now, I think I do. Mr. Gottberg’s letter was intended to motivate us to keep moving forward. He wanted us to know that we could do anything our hearts desired, even if no one else was there to tell us so. Sometimes we have to be our own motivational system, and I learned that from him.
Therefore, I consider Mr. Gottberg a hero. He had the strength to do what no one thought he could, and excel in whatever it was that he did. He overcame diversity in his childhood, being in his twin brother’s shadow, and being a person that his parent’s didn’t believe he could be. That type of courage and strength is the definition of a hero in my eyes, and I’m proud to call him so.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy