My Hero is My Mom

atisor011
When first mentioning the word hero, most people might immediately write down their favorite actor, singer, athlete, or some successful person's name. My hero is the opposite. She is not successful and, in her own way, is not truly independent. She was not the smartest or the most creative in school and dropped out of college as a single-parent, but like other normal people, my hero was a dreamer which definitely helped her pull through very difficult situations. With her strong determination and patience, I am proud to call her my hero and my mother.
I like to describe my mom as a very courageous person when it comes to facing life's many difficulties. When my mom and I, finally, came to America in 2008 after fourteen years of waiting, I noticed my mom slowly getting weaker. After many visits to the doctor, we found out that my mom had a tumor in her body that could turn into cancer if not treated immediately. She had to have a very painful surgery, but she made sure to keep her heart beating through it all. I greatly admire her for that because she was adamant on surviving through this unfortunate predicament no matter what.
I also like to describe my mom as very hardworking person when it comes to the many low-income jobs that she has had. My mom recently had to face the trouble of being laid-off from her job because the company she worked for was too busy paying really high taxes for the government and couldn't handle too many employees. It was a very sad time for us all, but my mom was keen on getting another job. She applied everywhere she possibly could, hoping and praying, like many other Americans, for that one call that'll make everything better again. I really love my mom's patience at this point in her life because with everything that was going wrong with the economy, I honestly expected her to lose all hope but she didn't.
Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." This quote has been my mom's whole life story. My mom and I came to America thinking it was our ticket to a better life. Nothing has changed yet because of the recession, but my mom has experienced enough to know that we can get through this. In other peoples' eyes, my mom might not seem like the strongest, richest, or the most intellectual person in the world, but something must be wrong with my eyes because I really can't see what they see.