STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero Lilia Figgins

Figgins11
My Hero is Lilia Figgins
Throughout history people have made up different epic stories that represent the “ideal” hero. Strength and super powers play a role in these made up stories, but my hero does not possess these qualities. My hero is not a fictional character that was created by the imagination of someone. The person that I consider to be my hero is a real person that did not have to be thought up from imagination because she already represents what a true hero is. My hero is my mother.
In my mother’s life she has proven herself to be inspiring to me and that is why she is what I think about when I picture a hero, rather than picturing Superman or Beowulf. Ever since I was young I had watched her show great unselfishness and hard work in everything she does. She has worked hard all of her life to provide for those she loves. I look up to this because it takes an emotionally strong person to sacrifice their lives such as this for someone other than themselves. Her life has always been a struggle, but she had fought through the hardships so that she can make everyone around her live comfortably. My mother had grown up in poverty in the Philippines and had to be a servant for a wealthy family just so her own family could eat. When she married my father she was able to escape this third world poverty, but she was soon to face other complications once she came to America. She had to work many years at McDonalds so that she would be able to provide a nice home for her only daughter. Her dream was to have her daughter to grow up educated so that she could grow up to be whatever she wanted and not work as hard as she herself had to in life. To care about her own daughter before herself was something that her daughter had looked up to.
Not forgetting about the family left behind in the Philippines, good amounts of my mother’s paychecks were going to them so that they could escape poverty just like she had. Those paychecks had paid for medical expenses, food, and even education for her family. Even once they were educated and have steady careers she had continued to send them money because she would rather give her money to others than spend any of it on herself. This kind of compassion for others is very rare to find in today’s society.
Even though my mother does not have strength that can move a car, she has the strength to inspire someone and even though she does not have the superpowers to see through walls, she has the ability to care for others no matter what her own troubles are. Characteristics such as these make up what a true hero is.

Rate this:
Comment by arlenebasa516

Hi!

I was trying to search for your mother Lilia Figgins then I found your story about your mother in the internet. It is indeed a very nice essay. I can feel that you love your mother so much.

By the way, I am Arlene Basa-Siruma, I live near the house where your mother used to work in Cavite, Philippines. I was only 2-3 years old when she worked there. But when I was in high school we wrote each other some letters. She is a good friend of my family way back home. Please tell her about me, I have graduated BS Civil Engineering in 2004, I am now working here as Cost Consultant here in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. How about you? I think you are in your teen years now. You are a beautiful girl when I saw your pictures (you were only 4 years old then). By the way, please send my regards to Ms. Lilia Figgins. I hope everything is fine with her.

This is my email address: [email protected] / [email protected].

Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 1:23:38 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy