STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is My Mother

Froggyfrank92
My Hero
Panic. Sickening. Overall terror. These feelings settled in my heart like a bad cold as my mother spoke these life altering words, cancer. With tears glistening from her cheeks, she explained exactly what the malignant tumor was capable of. Thoughts of death and losing my best friend consumed my mind, depriving me of the sanity I once possessed. Like a new pathway, my life would soon become a mysterious journey, everyday praying and hoping that my mother would be victorious. With her dedication and motivation my mother showed me that good can arise from something terrible. With her words of encouragement, she became my hero.
Having been forced to play the role of mom destroyed me. The responsibility was nice, but the look on her pale face, killed me. I kept pursuing- the chance that she might make it kept me going. Her dedication allowed us both to become stronger. Every day she kept pushing. Returning to work even though she was beyond exhausted - in order to provide for her family. Her sickness rearranged my attitude. Before this tragic event I was always one to give up when the going got rough. Her devotion opened my eyes to see that anything could be possible with the faith and determination to get the task done. Although she struggled, her mind was made that she would tackle this monster with full force
With my family always on edge, the motivation my mother supplied gave us all strong hope. Cancer is normally seen as a stumbling block for a person, but with the positive gleam that shown from my mother my family and I knew that everything would be okay. I feel that to be strong, one must have someone who will stand behind them-a person to pick them up when they fall. My mother did just that. Her cancer scared me and I was fearful that I would lose the one person who meant the most to me. Her words kept my head held high, even on the toughest days. She never let her sickness get the best of her. My mother’s cancer gave me a new positive outlook on life. The manor that she motivated my family allowed me to realize that the only way I was going to get through life, was by the encouragement of others.
Christopher Reeve once stated, “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles,” My mother pulled through and defeated the demon in the dark. Her misfortune gave me the wakeup call I desperately longed for. Her dedication and motivation gave me the push I needed to always believe that failure is never an option and with a little devotion and motivation anything is possible. She is my mother, my best friend and my rock, but most importantly, she is my every day hero.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy