My Hero is My Dad

kbennett
What is a hero? Some say they must have the ability to fly, or be an over achieving genius who cures diseases. Heroes are much more than the stereotypical physically fit Spiderman or Superman. They are everyday people, with everyday responsibilities. They are constantly around you; you just have to take the time to see them. A hero leads, instead of follows; he corrects those in need, and will be the first one to offer support when the ones around them need a shoulder to cry on. The most trustworthy, heroic individual in my life is my dad.
My dad exhibits every possible aspect of the everyday hero. He’s the one with everyday clothes, everyday responsibilities. He is one of the greatest leaders I have ever met, or will ever meet. He will never back down to a challenge, and will not let those around him alter the way he lives. He is a prime example of who I desire to be. Through his thirty-five years of live, he has literally acquired the wisdom of an eighty year old making him extremely reliable. He is a leader and example to me, as well as everyone who crosses his path. No matter who you are, or where you came from, it’s a guarantee he will leave an unforgettable imprint on your life. He is a strong, dedicated Christian man. Through his actions and daily walk with Christ, he leads those around him. For instance, he is the Sunday school teacher at our church. In all reality, he has around thirty teens that look up to, and respect him. He is definitely a leader to everyone around him, and will always stand up for what he knows is right.
Leading is a significant attribute of a hero, as well as connecting with those around them on a deeper, more personal level. My dad is not only a leader, but a compassionate, selfless encourager as well as disciplinary figure. He is such a loving person, that he is willing to correct those around him in order for them to become a better person. He teaches his own children independence and responsibility so that they will be successful in this cruel world. Not only does he teach this to his children, but also all the other kids that he deals with. He just so happens to be a corrections officer, and is an example to the inmates, and corrects them, or shows them how they messed up. He is so caring, and it’s a characteristic I admire deeply.
So again, what is a hero? Is he the one who flies? The one who can solve the most complex mystery? Or is he the ones who will stand when others fall. The one who loves when all else fails. Heroes are everywhere, open your eyes and see them.
“A hero is a man that does what he can.”
–Romain Rolland