Hero

Vnelson93
Victoria Nelson
Sandalwood High School
Mrs. Cugini
Period: 4

Hero

“I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” Christopher Reeve. Everyone knows a hero to be someone that flies, stops crime in the blackness of the night, and wears spandex and a cape. But the real heroes, I believe, are those that walk among us. They can be the ordinary individuals we live with or work with. Every hero is a hero to someone because they have made an impact on someone’s life. My impact happened to be made by my mom.
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” Arnold Schwarzenegger. When reading this quote, she automatically comes to mind. She is one of the strongest people I know. Her strength comes from her heart which, to me, is the best strength to have, especially for a woman. She has overcome many obstacles in her life and standing by her side, watching how she withstands every storm, makes me feel that I can stand strong as well. These past two years have tested her very greatly with trials and arguments, tears and pain. Our family has always been the closest any family could be, but between misunderstandings, arguments, judgments, gossip, and anger, that relationship faded fast. This broke her in two and I saw it plastered upon her face every day. Tears constantly flooded her eyes when she would come home from church or work but once we got in front of our family and friends, she always had a smile across her face because all she wanted was for all of us to come together and be happy. She prayed every chance she got, quoted scripture, kept in the word, and stood strong trying to hold everything together. This finally paid off and apologies were made from both sides. Even though the bond between our family is damaged and will take some time to repair, we are slowly mending, thanks to my mom for her perseverance.
Not only does a hero need strength but he/she also needs selflessness. As a job on the side of her full time work hours, she designs weddings for starry eyed bride to be’s. Anything they ask for, she finds a way to make it happen or at least tries her best to, even if it sounds impossible. She won’t say no because she wants them to have the absolute best day that every bride dreams of. It’s not only in weddings that she strives to put others before herself. It’s in everything she does. For church, if someone can’t fulfill a need or request, she’ll step right up and help anyway she can, whether it’s decorating for a cantata, completing a task at work, getting me places I need to be, or putting together an Allstate conference. She’s always there when needed and she’s one of the most dependable people I have in my life. The best part about it is that helping people really makes her feel accomplished and happy, which is so genuine. It puts the biggest grin across her face that just lights up the room.
She may not have the image of the stereotypical superhero but she’s the best hero I could ever have. I get my drive and strength by watching her every day and all she’s simply done is live her life to the best of her ability. She’s an amazing woman, mistakes and all and I love her very much. She will always be my superhero.