STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My hero is my mom

smileitschevyy
Hero, a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there isn't enough to go around.
Edgar Watson Howe.
A true hero isn’t someone who is the strongest, or the most charming, the one that fights the battles for every one at a moment of weakness. But simply the one who shows courage at a time of vulnerability. This hero is my mom, why is this you may ask, she has stage 3 lung cancer. My mom has smoked sense the age of 16 and has developed a serious case of lung cancer. It started when her neck got swollen and her appetite stopped and the blood starts to get coughed up, we knew she was in trouble. If she had the choice she wouldn’t have went to the doctor. At that time I thought my mother’s life was running out.

After finding out, I thought that everything was going to be different. Great my mom’s sick no more helping with my hair or mother daughter shopping figure it’s time for me to step up and help I thought wrong. The cancer it doesn’t stop her, she builds up the courage to put her sickness in the back of her head and remain the best mother I could ever ask for. Still attending my cheer competitions, watching the foot ball games, and even shops too.

My mother still provides the care and she cooks, cleans, and takes care of me my dad and brother while suffering still. She always lives by these lyrics, hold you head high never let it defy the light in your eyes love yourself give them hell you can take on this world if you stand and be strong and fight like a girl. Sometimes it’s really easy and I forget all about what I’m facing in reality, other times its extremely hard. Watching how week she’s getting, watching her struggle to carry a bag of potato’s. Watching my own mother, who’s suppose to always be okay wake up in the middle of the night straining for air.

Watching my mother slowly die isn’t anything I would ever wish upon someone, even though she sick she never lets anyone know. To watch her live her life out happy is all I want for her she is my hero because she’s fighting a gruesome battle with death its self. I know that she’ll never give up no matter what comes her way she always has and will remain strong. A hero isn’t someone who is charming or the ones you see in the movies. A hero is someone who simply has strength to overcome all.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy