My Hero Is My Mother Lisa Ramirez

leilaestevez
As a little girl, I always thought of heroes as someone who dresses up in a costume with a mask, and fights off bad guys. Then as I got older I realized that a hero can also be someone famous, or people around you everyday who inspire you, like a teacher or a family relative. In my case, my hero is my mother Lisa Ramirez because of her great strength and patience.
Growing up without a father, I was always around my mother and she was the only person I looked up to for guidance. Since my father never helped out or paid a dime in child support, my mother was constantly struggling to support me, my sister, and my brother. There was times when my mother just wanted to break down and give up hope, but she knew she had to be strong to make it through and go on. Given that my mother possessed very slim education, her career choice was limited and so was her pay. My mother sought after a better life for us, and herself, which inspired her to go back to school and earn her G.E.D.
Although, working two to three jobs and going through school was going to be difficult, my mother remained optimistic and did not let anything discourage her. After she earned her G.E.D. our lives had taken a full turn around and everything began to improve. This just encouraged my mother to continue working hard, and further her education. She later earned her license to become a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), and now she is working towards getting her associate’s degree to become a Registered Nurse (RN). By next July, a month after I graduate high school, my mom will have earned her associate’s degree in Nursing. Even though it took awhile for my mother to get to where she is now, she still remained patient and had faith that everything will work out for the best.
All in all, witnessing my mother overcome her adversities, and accomplish her goals that she had set for herself, inspired me to strive for my own goals and dreams. This year I plan to graduate in at least the Top 10 of my class, and I hope to get accepted into the University of North Florida for the fall term of 2011. In addition, I plan on following in my mother’s footsteps, and earn my Master’s Degree in Nursing, and become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner with my very own medical practice. In the words of Joseph Campbell, “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself”. I feel that this relates to my mother because, she has given her life to something bigger than herself, which is my sister, my brother, and I. Everything she has done up to this point was all because of us, so that we can have a better life and be happy.