STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero Is My Mother Lisa Ramirez

leilaestevez
As a little girl, I always thought of heroes as someone who dresses up in a costume with a mask, and fights off bad guys. Then as I got older I realized that a hero can also be someone famous, or people around you everyday who inspire you, like a teacher or a family relative. In my case, my hero is my mother Lisa Ramirez because of her great strength and patience.
Growing up without a father, I was always around my mother and she was the only person I looked up to for guidance. Since my father never helped out or paid a dime in child support, my mother was constantly struggling to support me, my sister, and my brother. There was times when my mother just wanted to break down and give up hope, but she knew she had to be strong to make it through and go on. Given that my mother possessed very slim education, her career choice was limited and so was her pay. My mother sought after a better life for us, and herself, which inspired her to go back to school and earn her G.E.D.
Although, working two to three jobs and going through school was going to be difficult, my mother remained optimistic and did not let anything discourage her. After she earned her G.E.D. our lives had taken a full turn around and everything began to improve. This just encouraged my mother to continue working hard, and further her education. She later earned her license to become a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), and now she is working towards getting her associate’s degree to become a Registered Nurse (RN). By next July, a month after I graduate high school, my mom will have earned her associate’s degree in Nursing. Even though it took awhile for my mother to get to where she is now, she still remained patient and had faith that everything will work out for the best.
All in all, witnessing my mother overcome her adversities, and accomplish her goals that she had set for herself, inspired me to strive for my own goals and dreams. This year I plan to graduate in at least the Top 10 of my class, and I hope to get accepted into the University of North Florida for the fall term of 2011. In addition, I plan on following in my mother’s footsteps, and earn my Master’s Degree in Nursing, and become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner with my very own medical practice. In the words of Joseph Campbell, “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself”. I feel that this relates to my mother because, she has given her life to something bigger than herself, which is my sister, my brother, and I. Everything she has done up to this point was all because of us, so that we can have a better life and be happy.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy