My Hero is My Mother

smoot10
On April 19, 1993, I just knew I was blessed coming into this world with my mother. Ever since I first opened my eyes, my mother has been my foundation in this world. From a shoulder to lean on or a hand to hold, she was there. My mother is much more than a guardian to me, she is my hero. A hero I call my own. She is a hero that encourages me to be more successful than her and is always taking the time to put me before herself.
Growing up in a single parent home was always difficult. Since my mother and my father divorced when I was young, I did not have equal opportunities as every other child to spend time with my father. My mother took the responsibility of supporting me and my brother every way possible. My brother and I looked at my mother as both parents because she was strong enough to play the role. Barely spending quality time with me and my brother, my mother took two jobs just to support our family. There was never a time where my mother would put herself before us. I always admired that quality in my mother. The divorce did not give her an excuse to neglect us, but a motivation to give my brother and me everything we deserved plus more.
Thus, she constantly encouraged me to further my education. My mother does not want my brother and me to go through the same hardships as she went through numerous times. My mother knew growing up she was not given the same opportunities as I am today. My mother reminds me that she foresees a future in me and will not let me give up on my education. I am always reminded by the words, “I want you to do better than your father and I did.” This very quote has been my motivation for years as I strive towards my high school diploma. Thanks to my mother’s support, I will begin the first generation to graduate from college and I will not stop there. I want to not only make myself proud, but my mother proud as well. I believe she deserves to see me walk across the stage as she could not do it herself.
My mother is an angel. Sometimes, I wonder how I could be so lucky to be blessed with a mother like her. Every step of the way, I know that I have the guidance of my mother right beside me. My mother deserves much more than she is given on a regular basis, if I could, I would give her the world. I love her dearly. If I did not have my mother as a hero, I do not know where I would be. She is very special and I cherish her dearly. “I love my mother as the trees love water and sunshine - she helps me grow, prosper, and reach great heights.” -Terri Guillemets