STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero Is My Mom.

Charlisej
Determined for her happiness, hardworking individual and able to stay strong and positive through all the tough times my mommy is a hero to me because, though she has lived a stressful life over the past few years, she still finds it in her power to stay positive and become a stronger woman learning from her mistakes and believes in hard work to achieve her dreams and goals. Because my mother promotes her strength as a single mother that result in the success of positivity and the fight of a strong woman.
Summer before my junior year my mom was excited for her new job transfer overseas in Guam. A few months before it was time to move my mom went to the doctors and she was diagnosed with having an AVM (Arteriovenous Malformations) on the right side of her brain. Her hopes were shot for going overseas because she had to have surgery quickly. Doctors said that my mom would have gone in the air from air pressure on the plane my mother could have died. Surgery went well and everything was good, now what? Is she okay? She’s normal again. I was wrong my mother was far from normal she couldn’t talk, move, or remember anything while also losing all feeling on the left side of her body all in one token. I didn’t know who my mother was laying in that hospital bed. Doctors told us she wouldn’t be back to normal for at least a year and six months. That’s where they were wrong. When my mother could finally talk again or at least stutter little words at a time she told me “stop crying, I’m going to be back to normal before you know it.” Those words showed me that my mother was determined to be walking and talking normal again. Six months out of the hospital and out of rehab my mom was back in action; driving, working hard, and making sure that she took care of everything. From getting caught up on her bills to even going through a recent divorce.
Married for 20 years with an 18 year old daughter I’ve lost one of my parents from a divorce due to alcohol. My father has an alcoholic disease that has affected me and my mother and I watch my mother take it to heart and get herself sick again from stress when there’s a call at one o’clock in the morning from downtown saying my dad has been locked up for drinking and driving. My dad isn’t financially able to help pay for certain things that he should be able to do. I watch my mother everyday struggle to keep us under a happy home with all the bills she has to pay and me being in my senior year isn’t helping the situation. I watch a hardworking woman go to work every day including weekends just so I don’t have anything to worry about being financially impaired.
Single mother doing it all on her own and still finds the time to stay positive. My mother is my hero because there isn’t anyone that I know that has been through the pain and the tough times.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy