My Hero is My Grandfather

LindsaySimoneaux
Heroes are not just in comics and movies; these heroes don’t wear masks or capes. But these heroes still seem to have super powers that somehow capture our hearts and amaze us with their abilities. They are the ones we look up to, the ones who make an impact in our lives, and the ones who seem to make everything better to save the day. My grandfather, Gerald Simoneaux is my hero because he taught me that I could conquer anything if I set my mind to it. He not only inspired me to be myself but to be proud of who I am.
Every Thanksgiving I was able to see my grandfather. Since I live in Florida and he lived in Louisiana, I wasn’t able to see him much, but every year I looked forward to spending time with him and learning from him. Throughout the years I remember going to the old park with him and how told me stories about his life and all the amazing things he did to reach his dreams. When I was little he taught me to keep trying and if I keep my mind on the goal I could conquer it no matter what it was or how crazy it may seem. Once I got older I really understood what he meant and how it affected my view on life, it gave me the chance to believe in myself and succeeded in anything I do.
Another way my grandfather impacted my life was by inspiring me to be myself and to be proud of who I am. He lived his life to the fullest and didn’t take anything for granted; he was himself and no one could take that away from him. He was a proud family man who always put our concerns first. My grandfather was the one person who showed me through compassion and dreams that it was okay to be who you are as long as you are happy. This allowed me to be independent and to discover my passions and skills on my own without anyone deciding them for me.
The definition of a true hero is different to everybody depending on personal views. My hero has compassionate, knowledgeable, respectful and inspiring super powers. My grandfather was my role model, I looked up to him because he didn’t let anyone get him down, he was himself and he lived life to the fullest; not caring what anyone else had to say about him. He taught me things that will be with me for the rest of my life. He showed me there was more to life if I believed I could do anything if I put my mind to it. He showed me that being yourself is the best thing you could ever do. He wasn’t just my grandfather he was my hero underneath.