My Hero Is Michael Phelps

jaganon1
Swimming has very few heroes. Swimming doesn’t have as many fans as other sports like football and basketball. Swimmers don’t get as much praise when compared to professional players in the NFL. Although this is true my hero is a swimmer. He possesses unparalleled dedication to his sport. And his unyielding will is unmatched anywhere. The person I’m talking about is Michael Phelps. He is my inspiration for swimming because in a sport with few superstars he shines the brightest. His performance in the 2008 Beijing Olympics was the result of his dedication and will.

Phelps began swimming at age seven. He began swimming because he was diagnosed with ADHD. Today at twenty-five, he is still swimming. He has been swimming for eighteen years and it doesn’t look like he is planning on stopping. This achievement is special because even though he has ADHD he can focus on this one sport. His dedication to swimming is shown by how he trained for the Olympics in Beijing. He swam everyday for four years in preparation. And in those four years he swam fifty miles every week. All this training helped him do phenomenally in 2008. It also showed his dedication to swimming. Swimming is a very exhausting sport, sometimes it’s hard to keep going because of how tired you can get. I use Michael Phelps to inspire me to keep going because he swims a greater distance than me and he keeps going. He helps me keep going longer whenever everyone else gives up.

During the 2008 Olympics, Phelps showed his unyielding will when he won eight gold medals. In every event he swam, seven other people were vying for the gold. And in those events, he prevented any of them from capturing it. The best example of Michael willing himself to win was when he was trying to get his seventh gold in the 100 meter butterfly. During the first 95 meters Michael was losing to Milorad Cavic. Michael Phelps would not let himself lose however, because in the last 5 meters he rallied and won the event by a miniscule one-hundredth of a second. His will power allowed him to win even though he was behind in those last five meters. I try to mirror Phelps’ will, whenever I swim against other schools I try my hardest to keep up with those swimmers that are faster than me, just like how Phelps managed to beat Milorad Cavic.

Michael Phelps has dedicated most of his life swimming. Coupled with his unyielding will power, it allowed him to win more medals than anyone else in Olympic history. This is why he is my hero because his dedication inspires me to keep on swimming no matter how hard it gets.