STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Am Afraid of Being Alone

irene_elizabethx
The worst possible feeling in the world is being alone; feeling so lost, and unloved, like people could care less about you. It’s frightening to be left with your thoughts in the middle of the night, questioning yourself, over-analyzing everything, and trying to figure out what you are doing wrong.
I feel like this every day, and I’m scared that this aching pain will never go away—that I’ll always be alone. By alone, I don’t mean not in a relationship, but just feeling like you don’t fit in anywhere, whether it’s school or your own family. Everyone has their own clique, somewhere where they feel like they belong. I feel irrelevant. It’s like having lost a puzzle piece and just giving up on the jigsaw all together, because it’s incomplete and it would be hopeless to continue.
I find myself so disconnected with people that I procrastinate my work on purpose so that I have an excuse to go to the library during snack and lunch instead of socializing at school. The days I actually spend my break with human beings, I find myself completely lost. I’ll be standing in the middle of all these separate groups of people and not know where to go. It’s not that I’m antisocial; it’s just that I haven’t quite found people I can truly connect with. My sole desire is to be pathetically close with a single person, such that we have a mutual relationship where we think of each other first.
And it’s not like I feel better at home. As in, “at least I have my loving family”. No. Do you know what it’s like to have someone comment on your every flaw every chance they get, and criticize your every action, blaming you for all their problems? First thing I hear when I get home is, “You've really got to watch what you eat.” No, not the pleasant “hi, how are you?” but a comment on my weight. I’m not at all overweight, but I don’t have a flat stomach either. To be honest, I do think I need to lose weight, but it’s something I need to work on personally. Contrary to my family’s belief, the more you tell me how fat and unappealing I look, doesn't really motivate me to chew on celery and hit the gym.
I've only heard of this concept of unconditional love, and moral support. Hopefully one day, I’ll live to see it with my own eyes. I feel like I will always be alone because I’m irrelevant. I’m never good enough for anything. I’m always the second or third choice, if I’m even considered at all.
It hurts being told that you’re worthless, and its hard trying to pretend you’re not breaking inside. I’m a compassionate person. It’s probably my greatest strength and at the same time, my greatest weakness. I treat people the way I’d like to be treated, but never am. I feel like I’ll never truly be a part of something, like I will always be this deeply unhappy person, alone, where not even I am my own friend.
Rate this:
Comment by futurejournalist

I feel like this too. My standards aren't that high, all I require is to be accepted. And yet, people don't seem to "click" with me when we meet. I might sit with one group, but I'll feel uncomfortable standing next to them as though I were a separate species. I really don't understand it.
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 6:27:29 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy